We will take a winter break, roughly parallel to the twelve days of Christmas. (Posting will be light.) Here are six gifts for colleagues and friends, none of which is a partridge:
1. Appreciation for that 80% of your personality that gets things done and is completely successful.
2. A gentle word or two for the 20% that is less effective and powerful.
3. Something luxurious, whether a massage or a box of Bellocq tea. (I’m eyeing the $25 sampler pack.)
4. The ability to laugh at yourself. Is your office a mess? Hang up a sign that melds together ‘chaos’ and ‘order’ in humorous typography.
5. A commitment to listen closely to someone you work with who is upset. The power of the listening ear cannot be overstated in business.
6. A good biography and time to read. (Try Tina Fey’s Bossypants if you haven’t read it already. I’m opting for Grace: A Memoir, about Grace Coddington of Vogue.)
Six more, coming soon.